Method (Makes 1 Cake – 10 to 12 portions)
1. Grease and line 2 x 17.5cm sandwich tins.
2. Place the cake mix, water and vegetable oil into a bowl and beat for 1-2 minutes to form a smooth batter.
3. Place the egg whites into a clean bowl and whisk to form soft stiff peaks.
4. Place a third of the whisked egg whites into the batter mix and gently fold in.
5. Repeat with the remaining egg whites.
6. Divide the mixture between the two sandwich tins.
7. Bake in a preheated oven 190°C (380°F, Gas Mark 5) for 20-22 minutes until firm to the touch.
8. Allow to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before transferring onto a wire rack.
9. Mix the Kirsch with 2 tbsps of the reserved cherry juice (or just use the cherry juice) and brush on top of both cakes, when completely cooled.
10. Mix the cherries with the jam and spread onto one of the cakes.
11. Softly whip the double cream for the filling and then spread or pipe on top of the jam and cherry mixture.
12. Place the other cake on top.
13. Melt the chocolate for the topping in a heatproof bowl over simmering water and then add the double cream, mixing until it is combined.
14. Spread on top of the cake.
15. Decorate with fresh cherries.