Norfolk Fruit Cake
- PREP: 20 minutes
- BAKE: 90 minutes
- SERVES: 10
* Mixed Fruits can be apricots roughly chopped, cherries quartered and always shelled brazils roughly chopped with raisins & sultanas to a total weight of 450g.
2. Grease and line a 19cm (7½ inches) round cake tin.
2. Using the ingredients listed above for the “Cake”, mix the Ginger cake together with the oil and water to form a light batter.
3. Measure the prepared fruits and brazils to a total of 450g.
4. Mix to thoroughly combine the ingredients, then pour the batter into the prepared cake tin and level the top.
5. Bake in the lower half of a pre-heated oven 160°C (320°F) gas mark 3-4 for approximately 90 minutes.
6. Allow the cake to cool before removing from the tin.
We enjoyed a recent stay in Norfolk at The Coach House, boutique bed & breakfast in Wroxham. On arrival we were presented with a slice of this delicious cake which has always been made in the Norfolk area. It is a lovely moist cake, packed with fruits which can include apricots and cherries. It is a good fruit cake which is traditionally a ginger base with sultanas, raisins and brazil nuts which give a gorgeous texture to say nothing of the taste!Deb the Bread
This cake is really moist and packed with fruits which can include apricots and cherries. It is a good fruit cake which is traditionally a ginger base with sultanas, raisins and brazil nuts. This cake also freezes well.