Chocolate Hazelnut Star Bread
- BAKE: 35
- SERVES: 10
Method (Makes 1 round – 10 portions)
1. Place all the ingredients under dough into a bowl and mix to form a soft dough.
2. Knead well for 5 minutes until a well developed dough is formed.
3. Cover loosely with polythene and allow the dough to rest for 5 minutes.
4. Gently warm the chocolate spread in a bowl of hot water.
5. Divide the dough into 4 pieces and mould round.
6. Roll each piece of dough into 25cm round using a dinner plate as a guide.
7. Line a baking tray with parchment and place a dough circle on top.
8. Spread with a third of the chocolate spread and place a piece of dough on top.
9. Repeat this for two more layers then top with the last piece of dough, leaving this plain.
10. Place the dinner plate on top and trim the dough into a perfect circle.
11. Place a glass in the middle of the circle and push down to make an indentation but leaving the dough intact
12. Cut the outer dough into quarters, so you have four thick petals.
13. Cut each petal into four equal pieces, so you end up with 16 pieces.
14. Lift a piece of dough and twist 3 times.
15. Twist the next piece of dough in the opposite direction 3 times. Repeat with each piece of dough, alternating the direction of the twist.
16. Tuck the end of each twist under so you have a round edge.
17. Cover with a damp tea towel, lightly oiled plastic or polythene and leave in a warm place for approximately 45-50 minutes or until double in size.
18. Brush with a beaten egg and sprinkle over the hazelnuts.
19. Bake in a preheated oven 180°C (360°F, Gas Mark 4) for 30-35 minutes until golden brown in colour.
20. Take the icing sugar and add 2-3 tsps water to make a drizzle, then drizzle it over top of the bread.
“Thank you so much for your prompt reply and for all your advice and tips! How refreshing to receive such fast and fantastic customer service. Warmest wishes, ”Lisa
I know you would have seen this beautifully braided Star Bread all over social media and also in the late, but still great Luis Troyano’s book Bake it Great. Making it at home is a lot easier than it appears, it calls for only 7 ingredients and gives the greatest wow factor!