- BAKE: 30 minutes
- SERVES: 10
(Makes 1 cake – 10/12 portions)
1. Grease and line two sandwich tins (17.5cm).
2. Grate the courgette into a sieve and leave to drain for 5 minutes. Squeeze out any excess water.
3. Place all the ingredients under cake mix into a bowl and beat for 1-2 minutes to form a smooth batter.
4. Divide the mixture between the two tins.
5. Bake in a preheated oven 190°C (375°F, Gas Mark 5) for 25-30 minutes until firm to the touch.
6. Allow to cool in the tins for 5 minutes before transferring onto a wire rack.
7. For the filling/topping, beat the butter and cream cheese together until smooth and then beat in the icing sugar.
8. Transfer one of the cakes onto a plate or cake stand.
9. Top with half of the cream cheese filling.
10. Place the other cake on top
11. Spread the top of the cake with the remaining cream cheese filling
12. Sprinkle on the lime zest.
"I am loving the Orange cake, it mixes great with chocolate, I used it to make this chocolate orange cake, filled with chocolate orange ganache butter cream, covered in milk chocolate buttercream and dripped with orange flavoured chocolate, didn't last very long!"Marie Brougham
The Great British Bake Off usually has show-stopping vegetable cakes, you would normally think of a carrot cake but this courgette cake bakes up beautifully! Deb the Bread