- BAKE: 60-70 minutes
- SERVES: 12
MAKING BY HAND
- Place the sultanas, currants, chopped cherries and rum in a bowl and mix well. Cover and leave to soak overnight.
- Place the cake mix, water, oil, mixed spices and soaked fruit into a bowl.
- Mix together to form a smooth batter.
- Pour into a well greased pre-lined loaf tin.
- Sprinkle with the demerara sugar.
- Bake in a lower half of a pre-heated oven 170 °C (340°F, Gas Mark 3) for approximately 60-70 minutes until golden brown and baked through.
- Remove from tin after 15 minutes and cool on a wire tray.
I wanted to let you know that my children ran a cake sale on Thursday at my husband's workplace for the St. Mary's School South Sudan Appeal (our daughter's school is fundraising to provide permanent buildings for a school in South Sudan), and we used your cake mixes to make the cake (for cost and speed, I think your cake mixes are the best option for cake sales - and we have a lot of cake sales at school!!). Anyway, they raised almost £100 in an hour, and my husband specifically had feedback from his colleagues about the Ginger cake, and the lemon cake (which I made using your Madeira cake mix). Anyway, many thanksWendy Barter
If desired, prior to baking, the cake batter can be sprinkled with some sugar on top. Deb the Bread