Italian Almond Rusks
- BAKE: 45m
- SERVES: 10
- Using the ingredients indicated, make up a well developed dough. Rest for 5 minutes.
- Blend the almonds through the dough and divide into two.
- Form a sausage appoximately 30cm long with each piece and place on a well greased baking tray.
- Press lightly to form a D against the tray.
- Cover with a damp tea towel; lightly oiled plastic or polythene and prove in a warm place for 45 – 55 minutes.
- Remove the cover before baking
- Brush the top with milk then bake in a preheated oven at 190°C, 375°F, gas mark 5 for 45 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from tin and place on a cooling wire and cool completely.
- Wrap in a clean tea towel and leave for 3 hours before slicing, using a very sharp knife, into 12mm slices.
- Lay the slices well spaced apart on a baking tray and dry in a warm place or oven at a very low temperature until crisp.
- To give extra colour, when dried lightly toast on each side under a grill.
- Allow to cool completely before storing in an airtight tin to maintain crispness.
“I was about to say what excellent service I got with my flour order, which by the way I received today, I have one baking as I write ! I was debating whether to put bread mixes on my shopping list when it arrived. I must admit I never checked the delivery time when I ordered knowing it would be up to your usual standard, but I was must admit I was surprised at how quick it did come. I should have done this months ago, I did mention I was thinking about it when I last e.mailed you about a query I had with my bread machine , which you answered, and which worked out for me, many thanks. I have just tried a malty bread mix for the first time which tastes gorgeous. My brother in law was visiting from Nottingham last week just as I had brought it out of the machine, he was very impressed and said he had a machine which they never used !!! so I sent him home with a couple of your mixes and strict instructions to get it out and try again, he promised he would as he has now retired from work he seemed quite fired up to give it another try. Anyway thanks again for your very good service. ”Amanda Kirman
These biscuits are ideally served with a sweet dessert wine to finish off a meal.