Lemon & Poppy Drizzle Cake
- BAKE: 30 minutes
- SERVES: 12
- Chop the lemons into small pieces remove any pips and place into food processor with 2tbsp water and process until a pulp is formed.
- Place the cake mix, water, oil, poppy seeds and lemon pulp into a bowl.
- Mix together to form a smooth batter.
- Pour into a well greased pre lined 23cm (9inch) square cake tin.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven 180 °C (360°F, Gas Mark 4) for approximately 25-30 minutes until golden brown and baked through.
- Remove from tin after 5 minutes and cool on a wire tray.
- Allow to cool completely and make up the icing with the icing sugar and lemon juice. Drizzle the icing over the cake.
I mixed some chopped cherries into the Madeira cake mix just prior to baking and it turned out great! The cherries stayed evenly spaced throughout the baking process, not all sinking to the bottom. Wright's bread/cake mixes are the best, worth every penny :-)Brenda Tait
These slice up superbly for afternoon tea or lunchboxes. You can use the recipe above to achieve a round cake in two greased and lined sandwich tins (17.5cm) or create muffins / cupcakes - whatever the family favourite way of serving cake is. Yes, I know we all love eating it especially with a lemon & poppyseed infusion to make you suck your cheeks in! Deb the Bread