MAKING BY HAND
1. Place the sultanas & currants into a bowl and cover with the rum and leave to soak overnight.
2. Place the warm milk, ciabatta mix, sugar and eggs into a bowl and mix to make up a smooth batter.
3. Add the grated apple, lemon zest and fruit and mix mixture to the batter and mix well.
4. Cover with polythene and place in a warm place for about 40-50 minutes or until double in size.
5. Whilst the mix is standing heat the frying oil to 180C.
6. Being careful not to degas the batter, using an oiled dessert spoon, spoon portions of the risen dough into the preheat oil. Fry about 6-8 doughnuts at a time depending on the size of your pan.
7. Fry for about 1 minute turning over a couple of times till they are golden brown and allow to drain on kitchen paper.
8. Repeat with the remaining batter.
9. Mix the cinnamon with the icing sugar and dust over the doughnuts prior to serving.