- PREP: 10
- BAKE: 15
- SERVES: 12
MAKING BY HAND
1.Place the water, sugar, butter, egg and bread mix into a bowl and mix to a soft dough.
2. Knead well for 5 minutes until a well developed dough is formed.
3. Rest for 5 minutes.
4. Rollout to a 37.5cm x 30cm (15×12 inches) sheet.
5. Spread two thirds of the dough with the butter and fold over the 1/3 without the butter over the covered dough, then the other third on top.
6. Cover with a damp tea towel, oiled polythene or plastic and rest for a further 5 minutes.
7. Rollout to a 37.5cm x 30cm (15×12 inches) sheet as before and spread peanut butter over two thirds and fold over the 1/3 without the butter over the covered dough, then the other third on top.
8. Cover again and rest for 5 minutes.
9. Rollout the dough again to 37.5 x30 cm (15x12inches) and cut into twelve equal strips.
10. Turn each strip into a corkscrew shape and roll into a Catherine wheel shape. Repeat with each strip and place onto a lined tray.
11. Cover with a damp tea towel, oiled polythene or plastic and place in a warm place for 40-50 minutes or until doubled in size.
12. Bake in a preheated oven 220°C (420°F) gas mark 6 for 12-15 minutes until golden brown and well risen.
13. Allow to cool and make up a water icing with the icing sugar and water. Drizzle the icing over the peanut whirls and sprinkle over the roasted chopped nuts.
“I would just like to say how pleased I am with the service from Wright's Flour. I placed my first order with you early on the 21st Nov, and received my box on the 23rd. Excellent. I have no idea why both my local Morrisons and Tescos decided to drop Wright's Mixed Grain Flour, but frankly who cares, with service such as this I don't need them. Thank you”Catherine White
Always allow your baked dough to cool before drizzling your icing over the top - otherwise it can slide off and not be as attractive as it would if thoroughly cooled.