Rhubarb Gin & Ginger Crumble Cake
- BAKE: 40 - 45 minutes
- SERVES: 12
- Place the sliced rhubarb and gin into a bowl and soak for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Place the water, oil and cake mix into a bowl and beat for 1-2 minutes to form a smooth batter.
- Drain the rhubarb and reserve the gin. Add the rhubarb and stem ginger to the cake batter and mix well.
- Pour into a well greased pre lined 23cm (9inch) square cake tin.
- Rub the butter into the 75g of cake mix. (Don’t worry if this starts to stick together)
- Mix in the porridge oats breaking any lumps of cake mixture.
- Scatter the oat topping on top of the cake batter.
- Bake in a preheated oven 190°C (375°F) gas mark 5 for 40-45 minutes until firm to the touch.
- Skewer the cake and drizzle over the reserved gin.
- Leave in the tin to cool before turning out.
I have made coffee and walnut cakes, cherry almond and marzipan cakes, and lemon drizzle cakes with the Madeira mix, along with loads of buns.Nichola Kirkham
As Enfield’s oldest business, we like local company’s and used Old Bakery Gin in this recipe. This distillery is in nearby Palmers Green and like parts of our mill, are listed by Enfield Council to be ‘Heritage Buildings of historic interest’. In late 2013, The Old Bakery Gin Distillery, regretfully had to remove the wonderful 140ft Bakery brick chimney as the chimney structure was unsafe, in doing so, they discovered that 100+ years ago the old bakery had a secret …….they made illegal Gin! Now they make it on the right side of the law and delicious it is too! https://www.oldbakerygin.com/