Savoury Danish Crowns
- BAKE: 30m
- SERVES: 2
Making by hand
1. Finely chop the onion and fry in 2 tablespoons of sunflower oil until golden brown. Allow to cool, add 1 egg and the breadcrumbs and mix well.
2. Add half the butter, 1 beaten egg and ground almonds (optional) to the bread mix and make up the dough following the instructions on the pack using 260ml water/milk.
3. Divide the dough into 2 and Roll each into a ball and rest for 10 minutes.
4. Roll each piece out to a rectangle approximately 6mm (1/4″) thick.
5. Dividing the ingredients evenly between the 2 pieces of dough, spread each with the remaining butter, the onion and breadcrumb mix and sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese.
6. Roll up dough like a Swiss roll. Cut each lengthways and twist the 2 resulting pieces from each Swiss roll together.
7. Place each on a greased baking tray forming a circle.
8. Prove in a warm place for 25-30 minutes or until doubled in size.
9. Dress with grated cheese and then bake in a preheated oven at 220°C (425°F) gas mark 7 for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
“Your Madeira cake mix is utterly fantastic. It makes the most wonderful muffins!”Chrissy Smith
This lovely, nutty bread recipe creates two crown loaves - one each end of the large family table, one for lunch and one for dinner or one for now and one for the freezer. Good value obviously.